Hinesburg mourns loss of young mother, firefighter

By Lisa Scagliotti
and Mike Donoghue

Family, co-workers and friends are mourning the loss of a popular member of the Hinesburg Volunteer Fire Department who died July 4 and whose death remains under investigation by Vermont State Police this week.

Pamela E. Price, 24, died from a gunshot wound to her head at her mobile home on Hemlock Road, off Vermont 2A in St. George, according to state police.

Two state police detectives are investigating the circumstances of Price’s death, which Lt. Lance Burnham said Monday is “not considered suspicious.” However, Burnham said he could not yet say whether the incident was an accident or self-inflicted.

With the absence of any conclusions from investigators, people in the community are looking for answers. “We are battling a rumor mill blowing out of proportion,” Burnham said.  The rumors were fueled in part by the lack of a state police news release about the shooting death.

Dr. Elizabeth Bundock, Vermont’s chief deputy medical examiner, ruled the manner of Price’s death was “pending investigation,” according to her preliminary death certificate.

Hinesburg Fire Chief Al Barber called Price “a valued member” of the department for the past five years. She was a firefighter and an emergency medical responder and her death has hit the tightly knit 50-member department particularly hard, Barber told the Shelburne News.
Price had two small children and Barber described her as “a loving, caring mother” to her 4-year-old daughter, Aubrie, and her 2-month-old son, Joseph.

“That caring and kindness carried over to her interactions with other department members and the public while on calls,” Barber wrote in a post on the department’s Facebook page. “We are all deeply saddened and hope the community supports her family and children during this tragic time.”

Price did whatever she needed to do to help people, whether she was responding to emergency calls or working at the fire station, the chief said.

A black mourning band has been added across the color logo on the department’s Facebook page, which has garnered a collection of comments, condolences and remembrances from family, friends, former classmates, and other public safety personnel in the area.

Price’s mother, Kimberly Davis, posted a note thanking who have expressed support for her family since her daughter’s death: “During this horrific time of unexpected loss, our family, her siblings, parents and grandparents greatly appreciate the community support we have experienced. Pam was a loving, generous, trusting soul and truly enjoyed working on the fire department. As her mother, I know nothing made her happier, except time with her babies.”

Price was a 2011 graduate of Champlain Valley Union High School and had been attending Champlain College. She had previously worked in the billing department at the University of Vermont Medical Center and was employed as an assistant manager at Aspen Dental, according to her obituary.

Lt. Burnham said the investigation involves forensic information, evidence and interviews. He said multiple 911 emergency calls were made on July 4, the first shortly after 6 p.m., with reports that someone had been shot.

Since then, police have been conducting interviews to better understand the circumstances of what led up to the tragic incident. “We don’t have anything that says right now that this is a homicide,” Burnham said.

Visiting hours and a funeral were held this week at the North Ferrisburgh Methodist Church. The family has established an online fundraising link —givebutter.com/t5v605 —to help with funeral and legal expenses. As of Wednesday, it had reached 30 percent of its $12,000 goal.

for Pam Price’s obituary please click here.

10 Responses to "Hinesburg mourns loss of young mother, firefighter"

1. Kimberly Davis   July 13, 2017 at 1:24 pm

First, THANK YOU for your balanced and professional coverage of my daughters death. There are so many inconsistencies within the evidence and situation that we appreciate all eyes. If anyone has information, anything overheard, no matter how inconsequential it may seem, please reach out. Pam deserves justice. ❤️

2. Shawnee   July 13, 2017 at 2:32 pm

She wouldn’t kill herself so let’s put two and two together be smart and put her boyfriend in jail she wouldn’t do this to herself let’s be smart about this seriously

• Kpac04   July 13, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Family, friends, coworkers amd community members agree, Shawnee. We just need to let the evidence lead the way to an airtight conviction.

• Alan   July 14, 2017 at 7:27 am

I agree with you! I live next door and I would hear him holler and swear at her, as well as his ex wife! And if she was so depressed, why didn’t he help her! He was not much of a supporter than if she was that depressed! I think it’s fishy and to many questions need to be answered! I would never raise my voice or cuss at my wife

3. SJToscano   July 13, 2017 at 4:48 pm

She was wonderful, she will be missed.

4. Jennifer Seger   July 14, 2017 at 3:47 am

I didn’t personally know Pam however I am so so sorry for the loss and the pain her family must be feeling. If you have a go fund me page feel free to send me the link and I will do what ever I can to help raise the money needed for her final expenses and any support I can send to the children let me know. You can find me on Facebook at Jennifer Seger. I have lots of back stalked diapers that my son no longer needs if you need them for the baby.
    Peace and prayers be with you in your time of need

5. Tabetha benoit   July 14, 2017 at 9:33 am

I only knew Pam for a little bit of time but she showed me a smart caring loving person inside and out she will be missed in everyday my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and I’m very lucky to have had some good memory’s with pam💐❤️❤️🌹Rest in peace,

6. Ted Cohen   July 16, 2017 at 1:20 pm

The police were quoted saying they “could not yet say whether the incident was an accident or self-inflicted.”

Hard to determine from this vaguely crafted statement what the police or the newspaper – or both – meant to suggest.

A self-inflicted gunshot can be accidental or suicide (intentional).

A homicidal gunshot can be accidental or intentional.

Yet, elsewhere in the story the police officer says, “We don’t have anything that says this is a homicide.”

So, cops believe the gunshot was self-inflicted. All that is apparently left to determine is whether it was accidental or suicide.

Based on that premise, then, the sentence that says police “could not yet say whether the incident was an accident or self-inflicted” was apparently miscrafted and should have stated that cops couldn’t determine yet whether what they think was a self-inflicted gunshot was accidental or suicide.

• Alan   July 17, 2017 at 3:24 pm

My only question is, how is a gun shot to the head accidental? Is she just walking around the house flinging the gun on her finger and oops, it goes off? Come on now! A gun shot to the head is either suicidal, which i don’t believe in this case, or intentional! I just can’t buy it that it was accidental to the head!

7. Riley B   July 19, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Eager for this conviction and justice to take place.