Juvenile cited in bomb threat at Rice Memorial last week

A juvenile targeting a specific student was behind a bomb threat at Rice Memorial High School last Tuesday, according to South Burlington Police.

At approximately 8:17 a.m. on Oct. 24, police said they responded to a bomb threat at the private Catholic high school located at 99 Proctor Ave.

Using bomb-detecting dogs from the federal Transportation Security Administration, officers swept the property for explosives and no explosives were found, police said.

It became clear that no imminent threat existed as South Burlington Bureau of Criminal Investigations and Youth Services investigated. They determined that a juvenile was “primarily responsible for the bomb threat specifically targeting another Rice student,” police explained.

The suspect received a juvenile citation to appear in Family Court on Nov. 30 at 10:15 a.m.

A statement on the school’s Facebook page that morning said: “Students were put in lockdown while teaching continued.” Afterward, the school day resumed and leaders thanked everyone for their patience during the incident.

“The guidance department, faculty and staff are all available to students who need time to process these events,” the school statement added.

Leave a Reply

Shelburne News requires that you use your full name, along with a valid email address. Your email address will not be published, shared, or used for promotional purposes. Please see our guidelines for posting for full details.