Just ahead of the general election candidate filing deadline, the Vermont Republican Party selected five nominees last week for statewide and federal offices.
In the Aug. 14 primary perennial contender H. Brooke Paige ran and won six GOP nominations and has withdrawn from all but the contest against Democrat Jim Condos for secretary of state. The other choices:
• Lawrence Zupan, a Manchester real estate agent, to challenge incumbent U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.
• Anya Tynio, who works as an advertising sales rep for the Newport Daily News, to run against U.S. Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt.
• Janssen Willhoit, a St. Johnsbury defense attorney and outgoing state representative, to run against Attorney General TJ Donovan.
• Rick Kenyon, a tax preparer from Brattleboro, to run against incumbent Auditor Doug Hoffer.
• Party treasurer Rick Morton to challenge state Treasurer Beth Pearce