Second Wednesdays at the Pierson starting up next week
From October through May, there will be a new marquee program at the renovated 1927 town hall every second Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m. The first program will be Wednesday, Oct. 9, at which Odale Cress will present the Care Package Story Project. All military care packages say, “I love you,” but the unique way each family conveys this through foods and other items reflects their family culture and traditions – even their humor. This entertaining presentation by a local veteran explores packages dating from World War II to present day, the personal stories behind the packages, colorful anecdotes, tidbits of history and more. No tickets are needed, but come early for the best seats. Free, with donations accepted for a charity of the speaker’s choice.
Other featured programs for October
- Every first and third Tuesday, join Pam Blair at 6:30 p.m. for Exploring Metaphysics in the library activity room. A group that explores and discusses various metaphysical topics, ideas, and relevant books. Come with an open mind and bring your questions and experiences to share.
- Saturday Oct. 12 and Oct. 26 from 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Family Board Game Afternoon – Host Oliver Dienz provides a myriad of board games for all ages and abilities from around the world, Join us in the Merrill Community Living Room for an afternoon of board games with friends, family and fellow community members. Free event, refreshments provided.
- Thursday Oct. 17 at 7:30 p.m.: Books on Tap: A Book Group for Men at La Villa. This month’s book choice is: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. Join volunteer Andrew Everett for brews, chews and a book discussion. An off-site program.
- Saturday Oct. 19 at 1:30 p.m.: Let’s talk Poetry with Rick Bessette. The theme for this poetry talk is “Apples, Leaves and Pumpkins.” Please join us by sharing a poem along the lines of this theme with other members of the community. This program is open to children in grades 5 + and adults. It will be hosted in the Merrill Community Living Room.
- Friday, Oct. 25 and Saturday, Oct. 26 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: Friends of the Pierson Library Big Book Sale, in the 1927 Town Hall.
- Monday, Oct. 28 at 6:30 p.m.: Engaging White Awareness – Pierson Library, in collaboration with the Shelburne Social Services Committee, is pleased to offer Part 4 in our free series Engaging White Awareness. Five sessions of facilitated discussion of the book “Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race,” by Beverly Daniel Tatum, Ph.D. Previous attendance is not a requirement. Call the library at 985-5124 to reserve a book and space for the discussion.