Farm Bill grants available for landowners interested in managing wildlife habitats

Vermont landowners can now participate in a federal program that provides financial assistance and expertise to landowners seeking to employ wildlife habitat conservation practices on their property. Funded through the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service, the Environmental Quality Incentives Program covers habitat work, from managing forests for game populations to restoring fields and wetlands for songbirds. […]

Aging in Place

By Scott Funk Between the ads pressuring us to shop, shop, shop and the Christmas carols demanding joy and yet more joy still, I sometimes want to . . . well, do something decidedly unjolly. Sure, I love the holidays, but I probably loved them more when they started later and weren’t so aggressive. Let’s […]

AARP drive time: safety tips for Vermont drivers

We are safest on the road when we can see and be seen, day or night. In fact, studies have shown that using low-beam headlights during the day reduces the risk of head-on collisions by more than 20 percent. Automatic daytime running lights help, but don’t illuminate tail lights, and should not be confused with […]

What are you most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

What are  you most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

By Chea Waters Evans and Jessica Hella “I’m thankful that I have a family, and that I have food and a house!” -Libby Manning of Charlotte “I’m thankful for my friends and family, and for their unconditional love and support.” -John Gowland of Charlotte “I’m thankful to have a job! I’m thankful to be employed; […]

Further discussion on the condition of Bay Road Bridge

Activities of the Social Services Committee, an objection to Town Office room rental fees and a presentation by the executive director of the Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission (CCRPC) were just a few of the items before the Selectboard at its Nov. 10 meeting. David Cranmer, chair, and several other members of the Social Services […]

Fiddlehead Brewing inks lease with Shelburne Green Space

Fiddlehead Brewing Co. signed a lease for a 9,640-foot space with Shelburne Green Space. The announcement was posted Nov. 12 on the Vermont Artisan Village’s Facebook page, saying “Great news is brewing…cheers to Vermont beer!” and on VT Beer, a Vermont beer information portal. Despite this public announcement, Macy Mullican, managing member of the Vermont […]

Charlotte-Shelburne Rotary club provides turkeys to food shelves

By Rosalyn Graham A turkey is such an iconic part of Thanksgiving celebrations, and for years Charlotte-Shelburne Rotary has ensured that needy families in Shelburne, Charlotte and Hinesburg have a turkey for their holiday feast. This year, in cooperation with the food shelves in the three towns, and with generous support from Shelburne Market and […]

Eleventh annual Wheels for Warmth adds sale, breaks records

Eleventh annual Wheels for Warmth adds sale, breaks records

Vermont’s “Wheels for Warmth” broke all records in its 11th year. Final numbers for 2015 show the program collected a total of $55,801 for emergency fuel assistance programs, sold 2,200 safe tires, and recycled 3,775 donated, unusable tires. This year, in addition to the traditional collection and sale location at Dubois Construction in Montpelier, collections […]

Winter driving conditions on the way

The Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) would like to remind motorists that snow and ice will soon be a part of everyone’s daily driving experience in Vermont and now is the time to start preparations for winter. “The first storm of the year is when we typically see a lot of easily preventable crashes,” says […]

South Burlington requesting help in making crosswalks safe

South Burlington is very happy to share our roads with our neighbors to the south as they commute or otherwise drive to or through South Burlington. However, on our major feeder roads such as Spear Street, Dorset Street and Hinesburg Road, all too often drivers fail to stop for pedestrians and bicyclists trying to cross […]