Exploring future of energy generation

Exploring future of energy generation

When Richard Smardon and Marshall Webb were students at Shelburne Village School, they were good friends, and visited one another’s homes to play and for sleep overs. It is certain that words like ‘renewable energy’ and ‘climate change’ never entered their pre-teen conversations. Fast forward several decades, and they find themselves deeply engaged in subjects […]

Thank you from Ron Bouchard

Dear Shelburne residents, It has been a pleasure and an honor to serve the citizens of our town as a member of the Planning Commission for the last seven years. I have been extremely fortunate to serve with such a dedicated group of individuals who I truly believe always had the best interests of the […]

Historic Shelburne Farms meets new energy

Historic Shelburne Farms meets new energy

The south-facing roof of the Farm Barn at Shelburne Farms, above the Children’s Farmyard, has 192 solar panels that were installed in 2010-2011. The panels generate about 47,500 KWH of electricity a year, enough to power about four homes, or nearly a quarter of Shelburne Farms’ electricity needs in the Farm Barn for the cheese […]

Rick’s Field of Dreams

Shelburne Farms has been my home for 62 years. I have walked, biked and driven all over this magical, magnificent, peaceful landscape. My family has been connected to the farm for three generations. I started working on the farm in 1968 as a groundskeeper assistant under the watchful eye of Darcy Patterson. I had the […]

Young sluggers visit Cuba for baseball and friendship

Young sluggers visit Cuba for baseball and friendship

School vacations can be an exciting time for students, but this April break is one to which 12-year-old Oliver Pudvar is especially looking forward. That is because he will be spending it embarking on the trip of a lifetime. He and his father, Tim, will be part of a group of Chittenden County residents heading […]

Local summer camps provide fun, farms, and soccer

Local summer camps provide fun, farms, and soccer

The wind is howling and the sun seems reluctant to make an appearance (probably because of that wind), but parents all over Chittenden County are thinking about summer, and more specifically, summer camps. Whether your kid is into coding or crafting or rock climbing, there is a summer camp option available nearby. Here are a […]

The Paper Cranes walk their way to $500,000

The Paper Cranes walk their way to $500,000

For some, raising some money to fight cancer is enough. For others, walking 26 miles in honor of a friend is enough. For Jeanette Voss of Shelburne, however, raising money for cancer research and supporting friends by walking the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk was never enough. The tireless effort by Voss and her team, […]

Backyard sugarer strives for the big prize at this year’s Vermont Maple Festival

Backyard sugarer strives for the big prize at this year’s Vermont Maple Festival

They don’t always have the flashiest operations in town, but backyard sugarers often make the best syrup. Louis Hanlon has been making syrup from the fifteen taps on sugar maple trees in his yard for the past ten years, and, he said, “It’s like something you’ve never tasted before.” Making syrup at home takes the […]