Vermont Natural Resources Council seeks grant applicants

The Vermont Natural Resources Council is seeking applications for its 2018 Small Grants for Smart Growth Program that provides seed money for community-based, local initiatives. Grants are targeted to projects that include advocacy for better land use through municipal planning, regulations, or advocacy in the permit process. They also fund initiatives in the following areas… Read More »

Correction

• Ann Janda is Shelburne’s municipal Director of Administration. Her title was incorrect in a report about the selection process for a new police chief in last week’s Shelburne News. • The UVM Lane Series performance by musician Rob Schwimmer is Friday, Jan. 26, at 7:30 p.m. at the UVM Recital Hall. The date was… Read More »

Scam awareness videos help protect older Vermonters

Stay Savvy Vermont is a new online video series created by a senior acting troupe in conjunction with the Vermont Attorney General’s Office and the Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living to increase awareness among older Vermonters of potential scams. The Community of Vermont Elders Senior Medicare Patrol Savvy Seniors acting troupe stars in… Read More »

Rick’s Field of Dreams by Rick Bessette

Rick’s Field of Dreams by Rick Bessette

Well…Hello, Winter. Your snow and below-zero temperatures have arrived. One particular evening I couldn’t sleep so I went to our sun room and looked outside and noticed that it was snowing quite hard. I turned on our outside floodlight so that I could see how much had accumulated. It was late, so everything outside was… Read More »

Twice is Nice announces new hire

The Hinesburg Community Resource Center is pleased to announce Valerie Mullin from Monkton as the new manager for Twice is Nice thrift store. “We are delighted to have Valerie as a part our team and look forward to the shop’s continued success as a result of her ideas and energy,” said Karla Munson, resource center… Read More »

Addison County Humane Society hosts microchip clinics

Addison County Humane Society hosts microchip clinics

Homeward Bound, the Humane Society in Addison County, will conduct Open Door Microchip Clinics throughout the year with the first one this Saturday. A microchip is a small electronic chip that contains an owner’s contact information and is inserted under the skin between a pet’s shoulder blades and can be scanned in case a pet… Read More »

Working toward a yoga badge

Working toward a yoga badge

Members of the Shelburne Girl Scout Troop 30561 recently did a yoga night at Shelburne Community School. Instructor Katherine Hamilton works at Blue Cross/Blue Shield and is also on the board for Girls on The Run Vermont. This active troop of more than 25 girls from kindergarten to fourth grade spend the entire school year engaging… Read More »

Parks & Rec News

Registration for Spring Little League baseball and softball is now open. Deadline is March 16. Check the Recreation website for details. Winterfest at Shelburne Farms, Feb. 3 from 12-3 p.m. Family-friendly indoor and outdoor winter activities including sledding, sleigh rides, crafts, music and delicious food during this annual free event. Me & My Guy Dance… Read More »