Rick’s Field of Dreams

Shelburne Farms has been my home for 62 years. I have walked, biked and driven all over this magical, magnificent, peaceful landscape. My family has been connected to the farm for three generations. I started working on the farm in 1968 as a groundskeeper assistant under the watchful eye of Darcy Patterson. I had the […]

Young sluggers visit Cuba for baseball and friendship

Young sluggers visit Cuba for baseball and friendship

School vacations can be an exciting time for students, but this April break is one to which 12-year-old Oliver Pudvar is especially looking forward. That is because he will be spending it embarking on the trip of a lifetime. He and his father, Tim, will be part of a group of Chittenden County residents heading […]

Local summer camps provide fun, farms, and soccer

Local summer camps provide fun, farms, and soccer

The wind is howling and the sun seems reluctant to make an appearance (probably because of that wind), but parents all over Chittenden County are thinking about summer, and more specifically, summer camps. Whether your kid is into coding or crafting or rock climbing, there is a summer camp option available nearby. Here are a […]

The Paper Cranes walk their way to $500,000

The Paper Cranes walk their way to $500,000

For some, raising some money to fight cancer is enough. For others, walking 26 miles in honor of a friend is enough. For Jeanette Voss of Shelburne, however, raising money for cancer research and supporting friends by walking the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk was never enough. The tireless effort by Voss and her team, […]

Backyard sugarer strives for the big prize at this year’s Vermont Maple Festival

Backyard sugarer strives for the big prize at this year’s Vermont Maple Festival

They don’t always have the flashiest operations in town, but backyard sugarers often make the best syrup. Louis Hanlon has been making syrup from the fifteen taps on sugar maple trees in his yard for the past ten years, and, he said, “It’s like something you’ve never tasted before.” Making syrup at home takes the […]

A Memoir of Ruth Messenger Thayer

A Memoir of Ruth Messenger Thayer

March is Women’s History Month. What better time to recall the story of one of the first women who lived in Shelburne. Judy Frazer of Shelburne Historical Society researched the story of Ruth Messenger Thayer, a story that provides a dramatic picture of the difficulty of life in those early days, and the courage of […]

The Schoolhouse receives generous grant to expand

Liz Shayne, The Schoolhouse Learning Center head of school The Schoolhouse in South Burlington has received a $1,100 grant from The Shelburne Charlotte Hinesburg Interfaith Project (SCHIP) to purchase materials to expand its gardens and enhance students’ educational experiences as part of its Farm Food Forest (FFF) program. This spring, students and staff will work […]

Selectboard tackles a full agenda

The Selectboard faced a packed agenda at the Mar. 22 meeting. Numerous ordinances were before the members, as well as a long list of appointments to commissions, boards and committees (CBCs). Several of the items facing the board were the products of years of discussion and work. The agenda packed with ordinances was due to […]

Planning Commission Chair Ronald Bouchard steps down

Planning Commission Chair Ronald Bouchard steps down

Planning Commission Chair Ron Bouchard had previously announced that he would not be seeking reappointment to the Commission after many years of service. In a tribute to Bouchard, newly elected Commission Chair Jaime Heins called him “the epitome of volunteerism” and presented him with a plaque commemorating his service as the end of the Commission’s […]

1 3 4 5 6 7 106