Lewis Creek Association hosts ‘Toxic Puzzle’ film

The Lewis Creek Association will host a free screening on Jan. 31 of the documentary film “Toxic Puzzle: Hunt for the Hidden Killer,” about scientist Paul Cox and his team’s investigation of links between toxins produced by blue-green algae and the neurodegenerative diseases ALS, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. Discussion will follow with University of Vermont scientists… Read More »

Red Cross appeals for blood, platelet donations

A drop off in blood and platelet donations over the holidays has prompted the American Red Cross to issue an emergency call for donors to give now to prevent a blood shortage from continuing throughout winter and affecting patient care. “Many people may not realize that blood products are perishable, and the only source of… Read More »

Catholic bishop to hold public meetings across Vt.

Bishop Christopher Coyne, leader of the Catholic Diocese of Burlington, is holding a series of town meetings across the state as “part of a continuing effort to promote full transparency and communication about Catholic matters in Vermont.” The meetings will take place from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at several locations and dates in January including… Read More »

Food shelf welcomes federal employees

The Shelburne Food Shelf recognizes that the federal government shutdown could be affecting local federal employees. Missing a paycheck can be very difficult. The Shelburne Food Shelf welcomes any Shelburne resident who could use some additional food items. The food shelf is open every other week on Tuesday mornings and Thursday evenings. Next hours are… Read More »

Parks & Rec News

Me & My Guy Dance Tickets are on sale for this fun event for girls in grades K-5 and their special adult guy (dad, uncle, grandfather, etc.) Feb. 15 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Shelburne Town Gymnasium. Tickets: $20 per couple, $5 per additional person. Top Hat Entertainment returns with their popular photo… Read More »

Meet and greet new Town Manager Lee Krohn Jan. 26

The Shelburne Selectboard has organized a special meet-and-greet reception for new Town Manager Lee Krohn. The public is invited to attend on Saturday, Jan. 26, from 2-4 p.m. at the town offices. Krohn was recently hired as the new town manager after a stint as interim manager since last May when former manager Joe Colangelo… Read More »

Dangerous driving

Dangerous driving

Sunday’s slick roads contributed to multiple slide-offs in the region including this one on Vermont 116 in Shelburne. The driver lost control on the snow-covered road and struck a tree. A Hinesburg EMS crew was first on scene, according to fire officials. Shelburne Rescue transported the driver to UVM Medical Center. Traffic was limited to… Read More »

Shelburne Police Log

48 traffic violations 28 directed patrols 27 medical calls 13 miscellaneous complaints 2 burglar alarms 2 accidental 911 call 1 dog loose 1 business secured Dec. 8 5:28 a.m. Fire assisted Vergennes Fire at a structure fire on Meigs Road in Vergennes. 1:25 p.m. Police responded to a two-car crash on Rock Road. There were… Read More »

Town poet remembers the cottonwoods

Town poet remembers the cottonwoods

By RICK BESSETTE I enjoyed the article “Changing Shelburne Farms’ landscape” and photos in the Dec. 27, 2018 issue of the Shelburne News. Though saddened by the loss of these “Silent Giants,” I understand that safety became an important issue. I was raised on Shelburne Farms and grew up knowing Poplar Drive. As a young… Read More »

Parks & Rec News

After School Fitness Registration deadline is Friday, Jan. 11. Kids in grades 5-7 join instructor Nick Mead right after school to improve general conditioning including a focus on core, strength, agility, flexibility and cardiovascular fitness. The program pushes for quality movement throughout childhood with a focus on higher sports performance and fewer sports injuries for… Read More »

1 3 4 5 6 7 268